Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Social Awareness Poem

Ferguson 
Some say it was unfair,
Then others started to stare.
It became a big deal,
For the family could not heal.
It became extremely public,
The topic was making people sick.
They wanted justice,
because Michael Brown had been shot.
They went to court,
Because the town was all out of sort.
They made a decision, 
No one was guilty.
Now the town is in sorrow.


The topic I wrote this poem on was the Ferguson case involving Michael Brown. I chose to write about this because it was a really important trial that everyone in the country was paying attention to. While writing the poem, I rhymed sometimes on two lines and sometimes not at all. I chose to do this so that when I didn’t rhyme, those lines could stand out. Also, I capitalized the first letter in the first word to make sure that the sentence had a powerful start to it. So overall, I wrote about this topic to explain what was going on in Ferguson and I used specific structures to do so.

3 comments:

  1. I liked how you made the poem rhyme. I also liked how you made use of where the line ended to add rhythm. I also liked how you used intentional capitalization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poem really captures the moment and has great imagery. I also thought the rhyming was strong and helped capture the moment. The poem also had interesting capatilization which made the poem deeper and more powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you kept the poem neutral, even on such an emotion provoking topic.

    ReplyDelete